- Be a legal resident of Brevard County for at least six months
- Be either married or unmarried (not separated)
- Be steadily employed or have permanent income from a government source (AFDC, food stamps, SSI, SS, etc.)
- Currently be living in inadequate housing that may include:
- Housing with structural defects, faulty heating, inadequate water supply and/or drains, bare or inoperative electrical lines and outlets, unsanitary kitchen or bathroom, improper or no insulation, insecure doors/windows.
- Inadequate number of bedrooms for the number, ages, and sex of household members. (Children of opposite sex are not expected to occupy the same bedroom. Infants and young children are not expected to occupy the same bedroom as parent(s).)
- Family has tentative living arrangements with relatives or friends or is in transitional housing.
- Decent, affordable local housing is beyond the family’s financial means, i.e., rent exceeds 35% of their gross income.
How to Apply:
- Call Community Housing Initiative (CHI) at 321-253-0053. They will conduct a telephone pre-screening.
- If pre-screening is passed, gather necessary documentation and schedule appointment with CHI to fill out application.
- Once we determine your application meets all the criteria, we will do a background check, pull your credit report (perfect credit is not necessary) and perform an ability to pay calculation.
- When ability to pay is determined, and all information verified we will set up an appointment for a home visit.
You will be notified by mail once all verifications and home visit reports are received of your partnership status.
- Once accepted you will be contacted to set up a partnership agreement. Partnership Agreement will include:
- Put in a minimum of 200 sweat equity hours. The 200 hours will include 25 hours working with a community service partner; 25 hours attend all Habitat for Humanity of Brevard County’s First Time Homeowner education workshops, 50 hours building other Habitat houses, and 100 hours building your own house.
- Escrowed a down payment of $1,400 (which includes the cost of your first year’s homeowners insurance) with the affiliate.